Saturday 17 September 2011

Six Sentence Sunday blog - Memoirs

Would I spill out my personal thoughts, feelings and actions in a memoir? The short answer is not for publication purposes - I am too private a person for that, but I may well write my memoirs at some future stage for the eyes of family and friends.

I am inspired by my late father who, in the later years of his life, incapacitated by strokes, spent much of his time revisiting his youth and writing his own memoirs. In them, he does not spill out feelings explicitly, but the story of a working class lad who defies all the odds through sheer determination and hard work carries a subliminal message of hope that if we believe in ourselves we can succeed. The result is a treasured legacy of stories which form a wonderful source of comfort, joy and pride to the family. Moreover, memoirs of this nature can be passed down to future generations so that our grandchildren and their children can gain an understanding from whence they came.

5 comments:

  1. Strong and potent! Love the voice

    ReplyDelete
  2. We often feel we aren't important enough for others to care about our lives, but the human experience is so fascinating no matter who you are. Great six!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see you here Megan, welcome to SSS. very powerful snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed your post today. Lots of memories crept in from my grandmother who was my inspiration in strenth and character. She could "spin" some yarns. :)

    ReplyDelete